Wednesday 6 January 2010

The Epiphany

An epiphany is the sudden realization or comprehension of the (larger) essence or meaning of something.
In Western Christianity, it a feast day that marks the coming of the magi in adoration of the infant Jesus. In Eastern Christianity, it is a feast day that marks the baptism by John.
In both cases the feast day is celebrated on January 6th and marks the end of the Christmas season. It is also an opportunity for reflection.


Christmas can be a time of great joy. It can also be a time of great unhappiness. It has that effect. It amplifies emotions. Up and down the land, feelings are expressed in a similar vein to these.

“Your mother’s not coming on Christmas Day is she? She’ll only criticise.”


Wouldn’t it be good if someone with authority would exorcise these negative feelings?

“It’s all left to me. I have to do everything and I can’t think of everything. Make your own dinner!”

Wouldn’t it be good if someone with authority would calmly explain that everything will be OK?

“Well, it’s my wife that does all the organising and preparation. I just turn up on the day.”


Wouldn’t it be good if someone with authority would firmly insist that you made a contribution?

“I know we agreed to go out on Boxing Day but I forgot and I’ve asked the neighbours around. I don’t want to disappoint them. I don’t know what to do.”

Wouldn’t it be good if someone with authority would forgive you?

“I don’t agree with your uncle. I’ve never agreed with your uncle. I’m not having your uncle around and that’s that”


Wouldn’t it be good if someone with authority would firmly insist that it is not acceptable to exclude someone simply because you don’t see eye to eye?

“I’m not going to be a bother. I’ll spend Christmas on my own”

Wouldn’t it be good if someone with authority would gently implore you to reach out and let other people into your life?

The beauty of scripture is that it speaks to different people in different ways. To me, the ailments described in the Galilean healing miracles in the Gospel of Mark are metaphors for states of mind and Jesus is exactly that voice of authority.

Isn’t the Capernaum Demoniac fearful because he is not open hearted?

Isn’t Simon’s Mother in Law, in an effort to do right by her daughter, stressed in making preparations for Simon’s guests?

Isn’t the Leper parasitically living off someone else’s good will?

Isn’t the Paralytic, torn as he is between different commitments, paralysed by guilt?

Isn’t the Man with the Withered Hand inhibited in reaching out because of his small-minded intolerance of others?

Isn’t the Woman with the Haemorrhage isolated because she doesn’t wish to bother with others?

The emotions we feel are as old as humanity itself but we shouldn’t always respond automatically to them. Instead we should step back and listen to that Voice of Authority.
There’s one way to have a joyful, peaceful and whole-ly experience at the festive time of year. That is to put Christ into Christmas.

Have a joyful and peaceful 2010.

Dominick

No comments: